Welcome to the
Presbytery of New Harmony
The Mission of the Presbytery of New Harmony is to strengthen, nurture, and sustain its congregations and ministers, and to participate in the wider mission of the church through its higher governing bodies.
The Presbytery of New Harmony, a member of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), is situated along the northeastern coast of South Carolina. We have 8,970 members across 11 counties in South Carolina. The presbytery office, located in Florence, supports 68 congregations and 80 resident ministers.
Please feel free to browse our website to find out more about us.
If you cannot find what you're looking for, please feel free to contact us at the addresses listed below.
Presbytery of New Harmony
PO Box 4025
Digest of Eighty-Eighth Stated Meeting of
the Presbytery of New Harmony
- Received the Stated Clerk’s report, including reports from commissions to install Teaching Elder Don Muncie at Williamsburg Presbyterian Church and Teaching Elder Nick Cheek at First Presbyterian Church, Sumter; and commissions to ordain Anna Owens Sweeney and Vikki Brogdon.
- Voted to approve proposed amendments to the constitution except for an amendment to allow for membership on committees to not be constituted of one-half from members of congregations.
- Approved PADD Sunday for March 19, 2017.
- Approved, on the second reading, the 2017 Operating Budget totaling $1,181,051.
- Approved on second reading, changes to the Accounting Policies and Procedures Manual.
- Received a report from the Evaluation and Long-Range Planning Committee with demographics of churches, observations on the work of the Presbytery, and thoughts on organization of the Presbytery. Recommendations will be forthcoming.
- Received reports from the Personnel Committee and the Committee on Preparation from Ministry.
- Approved the retirement of Teaching Elder Ernest Jackson and conducted a retirement ceremony for him.
- Approved terms of call changes for Teaching Elders in the presbytery.
- Received a report from the Program Council which included reports from Camping, Congregational Development, Education & Nurture, Mission, Worship and Spiritual Formation ministries. Presentations by Mission and Congregational Development Ministries were also received.
- Received reports from the Committee on Representation, requiring no action and approved nominations from the Nominating Committee filling several vacancies.
- Received reports from administrative commissions of Celebration, Murrells Inlet, McDowell, and New Harvest Presbyterian Churches.
Congregational Development Ministry Offering Grants for
Positive and Inspiring Programs
The Congregation Development Ministry is one of the Program Ministries of New Harmony Presbytery and it is here to partner with your congregation. We stand ready to assist churches with their needs and requests. In recent history, many of these have been centered on emergencies, maintenance problems, salary shortfalls and other items that disrupt the mission and ministry of our congregations. In 2017, we are planning to offer assistance in other ways also. The CDM encourages you to apply for grants to do positive and inspiring programs in your church or community. These grants will typically be $2,000.00 each but we will consider any and all requests.
We do not know where you might go with this help, but we want your congregation to do something that will bring honor to our Lord and people to His service. These grants may be the encouragement you need to begin a new ministry or undertake a new mission effort. We would love to be a part of these plans.
We promise to pray for you and your church and to stand with you as you move forward in ministry. It is our sincere hope that all of us can begin to think positively about our denomination, its mission, and its future. We pray that you will know the joy of a connected and responsive presbytery.
We have applications available
for you to use so that you can communicate the information that we need. These applications may be found on the presbytery's website after the first of the new year. Please contact me, Johnny Dennis, or Julie Cox with questions or for additional information.
May Our Lord Bless You,
John W. Dennis, Jr.
Congregational Development Ministry
Education & Nurture Ministry Offers
Scholarships to Montreat Youth Conference
The Education & Nurture Ministry is partnering with First Presbyterian Church-Hartsville and is offering up to 4 partial scholarships for youth participants and covering the costs for 1 adult advisor to participate with youth & adults from First Presbyterian Church-Hartsville in the Montreat Youth Conference.
Click here for more information.
Your source for Lenten devotions
"Are You Following
the Crowd As.."
Sumter-Lee-Clarendon Cluster Lenten Luncheons for 2017
began on March 1, 2017.
The March 29 Lenten Luncheon will be at Fraser Memorial
led by Delcia Baxter
Each luncheon begins at 12 noon
& will be over by 1 pm.
Luncheons will be held on Wednesdays through April 5.
of places and presenters.
to order your 2017-2018
The Presbytery Office is planning a bulk order which will enable all participants to get the lowest price possible for the new 2017-18 Presbyterian Planning Calendar. Download and return the order form BY APRIL 18th in order to take advantage of this offer.